more jobs by:
What's the opportunity about?
We are currently seeking a legal counsel to join our Lisbon team. This role will be responsible for overseeing the compliance and risk management activities for our organization. The successful candidate will be responsible for making sure that company contracts follow policies and legal guidelines. The role will also work with our executive team to ensure that the company is always in compliance with industry employment and business process laws.
The role will report to our senior management. Responsibilities include advising on our compliance with GDPR and local data protection laws, monitoring our adherence to legal standards and acting as a point of contact with supervisory authorities and data subjects. You will also create policies that enforce compliance with legislation and deliver GDPR trainings to our staff to increase awareness of data protection measures.
To be successful in this role, you should have in-depth knowledge of GDPR and local data protection laws and be familiar with our industry and the nature of its data processing activities. You should also know how to perform audits to our current procedures.
You'll help create understanding by...
- Acting as point of contact with EU residents, supervisory authorities and internal teams
- Identifying and evaluating the company’s data processing activities
- Providing advice and instructions on how to conduct Data Protection Impact Assessments (DPIAs)
- Monitoring data management procedures and compliance within the company
- Participating in meetings with managers to ensure privacy by design at all levels
- Maintaining records of processing operations
- Ensuring we address all queries from data subjects within legal timeframes (e.g. delete their information from our databases)
- Liaising with other organisations that process data on our behalf
- Writing and updating detailed guides on data protection policies
- Performing audits and determining whether we need to alter our procedures to comply with regulations
- Offering consultation on how to deal with privacy breaches
- Arranging for training on GDPR compliance for employees
- Following up with changes in law and issue recommendations to ensure compliance
- Ensuring the compliance of all contracts (customers and vendors)
- Supporting auditing certifications ISO 27001, PCI DSS, SOC.
- Supporting an internal compliance regime across the entire organization.
- Maintaining and testing Unbabel's business continuity and disaster recovery plans.
- Documenting and maintaining security and compliance related policies and procedures.
- Advising the business as a whole, teams and colleagues on compliance matters.
- Improving Unbabel's internal compliance awareness training.
- Monitoring the incident management reports and escalating material concerns.
- Supporting information security risk assessments, registering and managing risks or other incidents.
- Supporting and enhancing other customers/external audits, following up on any corrective actions that are identified
- Responding to clients requests for compliance related information
- Maintaining a database of compliance materials and standard responses
- Creating appropriate reports and documents.
You'll move the needle if you have...
- A Law degree (mandatory)
- High verbal and written communication in English (C1 CEFR level, minimum)
- Experience in data protection and legal compliance
- Work experience in data protection and legal compliance (as a plus)
- Solid knowledge of GDPR and national data protection laws
- Knowledge of data processing operations in the SaaS environment (preferable)
- Familiarity with computer security systems
- Ability to handle confidential information
- Ethical outlook, with the ability to remain impartial and report all noncompliances
- Management systems auditory experience
- A broad understanding of quality standards and associated principles
- An understanding of information security risks, issues and measures
- Effective interpersonal, influencing and negotiation skills
- Excellent communication and presentation skills and an ability to communicate effectively with both internal and external audiences
- Strong written communication skills (including experience in policy writing)
- Strong organisational skills and the experience to continually prioritise and respond to the changing needs of the business
- A pragmatic approach and the ability to adapt to change as the organisation continues to expand.
We build our tower with love, dedication and...
- Competitive salary at one of Europe’s leading tech startups
- Stimulating startup environment committed to diversity and inclusion
- Individual budget to setup your workstation (mechanical keyboard, mouse, etc.)
- Stock options
- Health Insurance
- MacBook and external monitor
- Yearly company retreat
- Free language courses
- All Hands on Deck every Friday
The Tower of Unbabel
Unbabel enables modern enterprises to serve customers in their native languages, with always-on, scalable translation across digital channels.
Powered by AI and refined by a global community of translators, Unbabel combines the speed and scale of machine translation with the authenticity that can come only from a native speaker.
Unbabel has raised over $91M in funding and has over 170 employees across its Lisbon headquarters and offices in San Francisco, New York, and Pittsburgh. Leading brands like Facebook, Microsoft, Booking.com, and easyJet use Unbabel to make their customers happier and their support operations vastly more efficient.
Unbabelers come from over 30 countries and have created a scaling company that embraces diversity, transparency, team spirit and continuous learning, with a fast-paced Silicon Valley atmosphere. You will feel part of an amazing, united and enthusiastic company that is ready to fly to unknown places. Are you ready to get onboard this rocket ship? Please apply today with your CV in English!