Audit Senior Manager
Smith & Williamson
For over a century, Smith & Williamson has provided tailored financial and professional services to private clients and their business interests. Today, the firm is one of the largest independently owned investment managers in the UK in addition to being the country’s eighth largest accounting firm. Its 1,900 staff serve clients including individuals, families, entrepreneurs, charities, trustees, professional advisers and businesses from 12 offices in the UK, Ireland and Jersey.
Our centrally located Birmingham city office provides leading edge advice to private clients, professional practices, mid-to-large corporates and nonprofit organisations.
We provide an extensive range of services from our Birmingham office: audit and accounting services, business advisory services, transaction services, corporate tax, investment management, financial planning, advice on personal tax and trusts.
Assurance & Business Services
We provide a range of services including external and internal audit, management accounts and payroll services to a diverse client base ranging from small businesses and startups to substantial international groups. Our client portfolio includes businesses from a variety of different industry sectors, across both private and AIM listed companies.
Purpose of role:
As an Audit Senior Manager, you will be a senior member of the audit group. Will be responsible for servicing clients, directing all assurance services delivered, ensuring sound management of our people and supporting the Partners with business development and practice management.
Reports to: Partner, ABS
• Client Portfolio - ensure that clients receive an efficient and proactive service and client expectations are exceeded throughout the year. Liaison with client Partners and other S&W staff where appropriate to ensure all are kept up to date with relevant issues.
• Audit work and setting budgets - act as audit lead on owner managed, private equity and AIM listed clients. The expectation is that on large assignments this role will be supported by one (or more) Managers, with overall responsibility for each assignment being retained by the Partner.
• Commercial awareness of all aspects of clients’ businesses and the impacts on our work.
• Management - arrangement of timetable, booking of staff, planning review and completion of audit and other related assignments.
• Business/Practice Development - preparation and review of proposals for new work, attendance at marketing events, development of personal contacts and identification and pro-active development of opportunities for S&W with current clients.
• Department Administration - monitoring of qualified and student bookings and workloads to ensure most efficient use of resources. Liaison with junior staff to assess any issues that need dealing with.
• Training and development - ensuring assessment forms completed and feedback given to staff on all jobs. Ensuring appropriate in house and external training received personally.
• Client billing/commercial awareness of WIP
• Planning and organising - to ensure all client work is carried out within the appropriate timescales through continual monitoring of progression of the work.
• Technical expertise - to ensure audit conducted to correct standard and accounts preparation is accurate and meaningful for the type of industry. To be able to answer staff and client technical queries and make technical decisions.
• Commercial awareness - to have a good understanding of the commercial factors affecting the client and to be able to monitor the commercial effectiveness of work done by S&W by reviewing costs against budget.
• Teamwork - working as a team with the other managers, Partners and staff to ensure the department as a whole meets its objectives and all client demands are exceeded etc and dealing with differences.
• Problem solving - technical knowledge to resolve client issues and organisation to be flexible to meet client and director demands.
• Customer focus - ensuring clients expectations are exceeded, by providing a first class service at all times.
• Business Development – ability to develop trusted advisor status with clients
• Qualified accountant (ACA, CA, ACCA).
• Significant external audit experience gained within a professional services environment.
• Experience of working with entrepreneurial, OMB, SME and AIM listed clients.
• Experience of (and appetite for) business development activities such as targeting, preparation of proposal documents, proposal presentations and attendance of networking events
• Demonstrable working knowledge of accounting and auditing standards, industry specifics and their application.
• Good working knowledge of skill requirements of staff at various levels to ensure work undertaken by appropriate individual.
• Strong communication skills in order to liaise with clients, Partners, staff and other professionals.
• Previous experience of management and motivation of staff to ensure best performance.
• Organisation to ensure needs of clients, partners and staff are all met.
• Monitoring costs against budget for individual clients.