Engineering Manager, Site Reliability
Wikimedia’s Site Reliability Engineering team is principally responsible for ensuring our global top-10 web site, our public facing services and underlying infrastructure are healthy and developing further in support of Wikimedia’s mission. The SRE team comprises over 30 creative and talented staff members that are globally distributed and organized into 6 teams each with their own scope and focus area. We are strengthening the team and looking for several Engineering Managers to help our staff and teams achieve our goals.
As an Engineering Manager, you will support engineers developing services and infrastructure, deploying and building new features, products, and services used by hundreds of millions of people around the world. This is an opportunity to do good while improving one of the best known sites in the world.
- Manage one to two globally distributed teams within Site Reliability Engineering
- Recruit, hire, and help onboard new team members
- Work with team members to set individual performance goals, and support them in meeting and evolving their goals and career path
- Triage incoming workload, maintain focus on priorities, and set realistic expectations for both peers and team members
- Coordinate and communicate with other members of the Wikimedia engineering teams on relevant projects, and contribute to the organizational strategy
- Continuously develop the roadmap of the team in alignment with other SRE and Technology teams, and help draft and execute the team’s annual and quarterly plans
- Project manage new and existing initiatives
- Lead the definition, refinement, and execution of the processes through which the team manages and performs work.
- Lead incident response, diagnosis, and follow-up on system alerts and outages across Wikimedia’s production infrastructure
- Facilitate the definition and establishment of Service Level Indicators and Objectives with service owners and stakeholders
- Share our values and work in accordance with them
Skills & Experience:
- Prior experience managing teams
- Strong technical background, including 5+ years experience as part of an SRE, TechOps or software engineering team
- Experience working with or applying one or more project management methodologies to site reliability engineering work
- Aptitude for automation and streamlining of tasks
- Communicate effectively in both spoken and written English
- Ability to work independently, as an effective part of a globally distributed team
- Willing and able to travel several times a year for occasional in-person meetings
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or the equivalent in related work experience
Additionally, we would love it if you have:
- Experience working in a distributed, largely remote environment
- Experience contributing to open source projects
- Service Operations: Build and improve our new Kubernetes based Deployment pipeline and help our teams, service owners and developers across the organization test and deploy our existing application platform as well as new applications/features.
- Data Persistence: Store, query and protect the sum of all human knowledge! Work together with our engineers to ensure existing and new data needs are met in an efficient and reliable manner, using the most appropriate boring and exciting open source technologies: MySQL, Cassandra, OpenStack Swift, Ceph.
- Observability: Work across SRE and Technology to provide teams with tools, platforms, and insights into how systems and services are performing. Leverage exciting technologies such as Prometheus, AlertManager, Grafana, Logstash, Kibana, Kafka and more. Research emerging tools, trends and methodologies and work with the open source community to contribute back that knowledge to the commons.
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Eligible international workers' benefits are specific to their location and dependent on their employer of record